July 19, 2015
RV Owners Should Test Their Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Nashville, TN – Even when enjoying the great outdoors in Tennessee, RV owners should be wary of the dangers that can arise from carbon monoxide in and around tents and RVs.
Often called “the silent killer,” carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas created when fuels (such as kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.
Carbon monoxide can result from a number of camping equipment, such as barbecue grills, portable generators or other fuel-powered devices.
July 2, 2015
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office has a simple message for Tennesseans this Fourth of July: Let the pros handle the fireworks.
With numerous professional displays scheduled for the Fourth including the nation’s largest in Nashville, there’s no shortage of festive and colorful fireworks to enjoy in Tennessee. State fire officials urge Tennesseans to take part in these professionally run events instead of risking their lives and possibly breaking the law by detonating fireworks themselves.
June 7, 2015
Take Precautions To Avoid Electric Shock Drowning
Nashville, TN – For thousands of Tennesseans, summer means spending time with family and friends while swimming and boating. The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is ensuring residents have a safe summer by inspecting Tennessee’s public marinas and docks and reminding Tennesseans to take steps to prevent electric shock drowning (ESD).
Earlier this year, the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office began the first-ever inspections of the electrical wiring and equipment of Tennessee’s more than 300 public marinas and docks.
February 14, 2015
Nashville, TN – One of the primary causes of residential fire deaths and injuries for children under 10 is playing with a heat source, which includes lighters and matches. It’s a nationwide problem that the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office hopes parents will address by following some simple safety tips.
“We urge parents to teach children at an early age about the dangers of playing with fire, to prevent child injuries, fire deaths and fire-setting behavior,” said Tennessee Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak. “If your child expresses curiosity about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly but firmly explain the dangers and that matches and lighters are tools for adults only.” [Read more]
November 29, 2014
Nashville, TN – As temperatures plunge this winter, fire sprinkler systems become vulnerable to freeze-ups just like all water-filled pipes.
The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is urging home and business owners to take a few preventative maintenance steps now in order to keep buildings safe from fire during the winter months and help owners avoid costly repairs down the road.
“Forecasters predict temperatures will drop below average this winter across the south and southeastern portions of the U.S,” said State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak. “Fire sprinkler users should take precautions ahead of the season’s coldest weather to ensure they have peace of mind throughout winter.” [Read more]
November 28, 2014
Nashville, TN – Tennessee State Fire Marshal Gary West is reminding Tennesseans to keep fire safety in mind as they heat their homes this winter season. As temperatures dip, it is important to know the proper way to use different methods of heating.
“The colder weather means many people will begin to heat their homes with fireplaces, woodstoves, and space heaters,” said West. “Cold weather months typically have a higher number of accidental fire injuries and deaths due to the use of these alternate heat sources.” [Read more]
November 14, 2014
Nashville, TN – Did you know that residential electrical fires kill as many as 280 Americans each year and injure 1,000 more? The Tennessee State Fire Marshal Gary West is informing Tennesseans on the dangers of fires that can be caused by incorrectly installing wiring and overloaded circuits and extension cords.
“Many avoidable electrical fires can be traced to the misuse of electric cords, whether through overloaded circuits, poor maintenance, or cords being placed under rugs or in high traffic areas,” said State Fire Marshal Gary West. “Simple safety precautions can reduce these occurrences and help safeguard your home from fires.” [Read more]
November 8, 2014
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal Gary West is reminding Tennesseans to steer clear of carbon monoxide hazards.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, each year in America more than 150 people die from accidental, non-fire related carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning associated with consumer products.
These products include faulty, improperly used or incorrectly vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. [Read more]
October 30, 2014
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal Gary West is reminding Tennesseans to change the batteries in their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors this weekend when they set back their clocks Saturday night for daylight savings time.
“Alarms, even those that are hard-wired, should have their batteries replaced regularly and should be tested monthly to ensure they’re providing the proper protection,” West says. “Use the extra hour we gain this weekend to make sure your home and family are fire-safe.” [Read more]
October 24, 2014
Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office: “Stay ahead of the cold snap”
Nashville, TN – Did you know that when the first cold snap of the fall season occurs, a wave of home fires usually follows? The State Fire Marshal’s Office is urging Tennesseans to take fire safety precautions now in preparation for the colder nights making way into the state.
“With colder temperatures come more opportunities for residential fires,” says State Fire Marshal Gary West. “We begin using heating sources that have been dormant for many months, and this can lead to fire safety issues. Prepare for the heating season early to reduce your family’s risk of a home fire.” [Read more]